Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Local Band Interview by Erilyn Daly: Sound of Sulfur

Band: Sound of Sulfur
Hometown: Southlake




No pillow talk this time, let’s just jump into the local band of the week. This week it’s a band called Sound of Sulfur, out of the entitled town of Southlake. What does sulfur sound like?? Why I reckon I don’t know; even thought I got an A in chemistry, it was never my strongest subject. However, the band name isn’t what sulfur sounds like, they explain it as “Music is something that brings us all together whether it be in pain, love, different cultures, enjoyment. Having a small percentage of sulfur in our bodies, I called it the Sound of Sulfur, joining sulfur and music together into one name. Why I picked sulfur was because it just had a catch to it and it was something different. As a result, Sound of Sulfur's songs encompass people, relationships, and/or society involving personal experiences and perceptions/hopes/goals of life. ”


So for all The Bled fans out there who recognized their groovy song, they weren’t copying them. Anyway, Sound of Sulfur has a very alternative vibe, not cutesy enough to be considered pop punk, in my humble opinion. They have been around for three and a half years and, like most rock groups, have gone through some lineup changes, including three guitarists over the years, but they are holding strong now at their four-piece rock-ensemble. They all met in high school and originally started out as friends before making tunes together.

These rocker gents re-released an EP this month that had been released in 2008,just in time for their mini-tour. They just got off the “Rock Yourself to Sleep Tour” which also featured There For Tomorrow, Sing It Loud, The Secret Handshake, and Every Avenue,some pretty big bands. This tour brought them to land previously untraveled by the band and introduced them to new venues, including one of their now favorites: Crocodile Rock in Pennsylvania. Although it does not appear their singer is comfortable making that statement, saying “Personally, I'm not the front man to judge a good show on the venue or stage because I always enjoy a stage where I'm the same level as the crowd, since I LOVE getting the crowd going, feeling/seeing their reaction and truly connecting with them. I love stages like Allentown, PA or The Door, Dallas, just because I can be with the crowd as opposed to an elevated stage. But so long as there is a show where I've truly connected and made the crowd go crazy with our music, then I'm happy.” It’s always nice to see humble musicians in today’s music scene.


Keep an eye on these guys, they wanna make it all the way to the top, and if they do, you can say you knew them way back when (maybe even because of yours truly.) Until next week, keep on keepin’ on, my fellow rockers.

No comments:

Post a Comment