Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Local Venue Review by Erilyn Daly: Eisenberg's Skatepark

Venue: Eisenberg's Skatepark

Alright, third venue of the week, and keeping with the childhood rhyme, the first would be the worst, the second the best, and this one would either have a treasure chest or a hairy chest, depending on how you used to say it. This venue comes out of Plano: Eisenberg’s Skatepark. That’s right, it’s a skatepark AND it sometimes holds concerts. I needn’t say more as to why it’s the venue of the week (because it’s a skatepark, duh), but I will!!

Eisenberg’s is pretty randomly located, its in this nice looking area of Plano, right by some railroad tracks. I drove by it twice before realizing where it was. Which, if you read last week, could just mean that I’m not very good with directions.

Anyway, I’ve only had the pleasure of making my way out there once but I enjoyed it immensely, even though the bands didn’t seem to. I went out and saw Four Letter Lie, Lovehatehero, and Of Machines; there were literally like 25 people there, and I missed Of Machines because I got there late. By the way, if you’re planning on going, know that the shows start super-early, and are usually over by 10:00. Four Letter Lie and Lovehatehero were very unimpressed with the lack of turnout, and seemed to be kind of upset about it. Four Letter Lie’s singer said it felt like band practice because of such a small crowd, and even said “I’m glad you could all make it out to see our band practice.” He also kept laughing between songs in a way like “I can’t believe we don’t have more people here.” I guess he wasn’t too impressed with us (the crowd) but everyone sure seemed pretty impressed with them. The following day, all the same bands played at the Ridglea Theater (which will be a venue of the week shortly) with like a gajllion other bands and there were TONS more people, making the show a gajillion times less intimate. This made their show at Eisenberg’s all the more special.

There isn’t a lot of room (because it’s a skatepark, duh) for the crowd, so from wherever you’re standing you’re gonna have a pretty good view of the performers, and be very up close and personal. One thing you do have to worry about is those crazy slam dancers. I almost got decapitated like 5 times. Crazy kids. The sound quality isn’t the best (because it’s a skatepark, duh) but in between bands you can watch kids skateboard!! And hopefully there will be some cool tricks going on or maybe someone will just fall and it’ll be funny (don’t judge me, you’d totally laugh, too!!). The only thing I really did not like about Eisenberg’s was the bathroom (because it’s a skatepark, duh). When you go out there, maybe try and not drink too many liquids, that way you can just avoid them all together.

So yeah, go checkout Eisenberg’s guys, and bring your skateboards, scooters, and rollerblades with you!!

-Erilyn Daly

No comments:

Post a Comment