Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DFW Venues by Erilyn Daly: The Prophet Bar

Venue: The Prophet Bar
Map: Click

The Gypsy Tea Room closed and The Door took it’s place. We all know this, well if you live in DFW you probably do. Especially because anyone who knows anything about venues in DFW knows The Door, where local bands and national touring bands can and often do share the same stage. I want to bring to your attention one place we are often quick to overlook: The Prophet Bar. The Prophet Bar is a quaint, often forgotten, but none-the-less memorable, bar attached to the backside of The Door in downtown Dallas. Not only is it a bar, but, like it’s big brother The Door, it also hosts live music. Although it definitely has a very indie vibe, it doesn’t just host indie bands. It hosts a wide array of bands from goth, to electro, pop-punk and otherwise.


Name a genre, and I guarantee you they’ve had a band from it. Not only do they play host to a wide array of music, they also host many bands from different countries. Just this month they have a band from England playing; they also have a canceled show posted because one of the bands couldn’t make it into the country!! Unfortunate for them and their fans, but funny for the reader.


Another cool thing about the Prophet Bar: If you pay for a show at The Door, you can mosey on over to the Prophet Bar through the double doors that separate the two. Because The Door tickets are more expensive, you can go into The Prophet Bar for free!! Two shows for the price of one. Wicked, eh?? I’ll admit the first time I went to the Prophet Bar it was because I was seeing Sullivan (R.I.P. Man I miss that band!!), and I followed the singer over there because he was omg so super cute!! I’m a creeper I know, but that’s beside the point, because that’s when I found out first hand you that can go there when you pay for the Door!! The feel I get from the Prophet Bar venue is that they put on a more quant and intimate show—very enjoyable! ‘


Wanna know another cool thing about the Prophet Bar?? Every Wednesday night they hold a “Jam Session” (which is basically an open-mike night), so not only can you WATCH music at the Prophet Bar, but you can also PLAY music at the Prophet Bar. Another bonus: if you’re over 21 they have cheap drinks and friendly bartenders. Definitely a place you need to checkout.

No comments:

Post a Comment