Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Local Band of the Week by Erilyn Daly

Band: Belle Epoque/ Sound Revival
Home Town: Mansfield, TX

Hello, I’m Erilyn, and I’m a music addict. (Hi, Erilyn). It really took a lot for me to admit this and share it with you guys today, but I fear it is true. It all started at the tender age of…why you don’t care about all that!! You already know my name, now you just need to know what I’m all about—music. Oh, and that I’m the Part Time Assistant Manager at the Grapevine Mills Hot Topic, I love music and I am here to share awesome local bands with you and tell you cool places you need to checkout. Let’s get this $#!^ started. (Insert fist pump here.)

Here it is folks, the first local band of this week!! This local band of the week is special not only because it’s the first but because it kind of consists of two bands: Belle Epoque and The Sound Revival who hail from Mansfield, TX.

First, let’s start with Belle Epoque. I remember when I first heard about this band; it was also the first time I ever saw them live. It was at the Door in Fort Worth and they shared the stage with Oh, Sleeper and Sky Eats Airplane (before the singer up and left). Which, if you’re looking for a band to compare them to, Oh, Sleeper is a band they kind of sound like. Unfortunately, this local band of the week comes a little bit too late. I’m afraid the five person hardcore group known as Belle Epoque (they pronounced it Belle Epic) have called it quits after three years and are now moving forward as “The Sound Revival.” They released three EP’s, first just a demo, then “Our Bodies” and lastly, “Wicked Ones and Thieves,” my personal favorite.

Now, let’s talk about The Sound Revival. I talked to these guys about the reason for the change and they replied with this: “It really is true, asking The Sound Revival about today’s heavy bands would be like asking your great grandpa about the internet; we just don’t understand it anymore, haha.” Obviously, they will not be playing hardcore music and will be taking their sound in a new direction. They also said that others have compared their transition into this new band (which isn’t really new, it’s comprised of the same guys, just a new genre) as a kind of growing up for the band. Stay tuned and keep your eyes on this band, guys, Belle Epoque was good, but I bet their new project will be even better.

-Erilyn Daly

No comments:

Post a Comment