Wednesday, June 9, 2010

National Music Review by T-Bone: Against Me!

Band: Against Me!
Website: http://www.myspace.com/againstme
Album/Release: I Was a Teenage Anarchist/6-8-2010

“White Crosses“, the title track of Against Me!’s newest album, soundslike a dozen songs you have heard before. Not necessarily bad, it’s just a nice, boring up tempo rocker. It is followed immediately by the first single off the album “Teenage Anarchist” a catchy little song that is certain to get them lots of radio play, making old people nostalgic for their imaginary punk rock past, and young people feel like they aren’t living life to it’s fullest. “Because of the Shame” has a nice piano and woo-oh intro , unfortunately The Gaslight Anthemdo this kind of ode-to-Springsteen a thousand times better.

Still it is the first song on the album I haven’t wanted to skip. The next song is called “Suffocation” and I just assume it’s about the pressure of not being able to make awesome music anymore because you signed to a major label and let Butch Vig produce your album. I do like the guitar tone on this song, and the harmonies on the chorus, but it just seems forced and fake. “We’re Breaking Up” starts off promising, and becomes the first sincere sounding song on the album. It’s overtly polished, but the lyrics and singing feel sincere and heartfelt, the piano is a nice touch and again the tone of the guitar is refreshing.. I personally would have released this as the single, but it doesn’t have that soccer dad vibe of “Teenage Anarchist” , so I guess it wasn’t a safe choice.

Bringing us to “High Pressure Low”, the guitar that starts this song off reminds me of something I listened to in middle school, not sure what, maybe Ned’s Atomic Dustbin or The Wonder Stuff? The guitarist is definitely ripping off a Grebo band, not that Against Me! or their fans, probably have any familiarity with Grebo, but I’m certain Butch Vig does. As the song continues I realize it is totally a Ned’s Atomic Dustbin guitar riff they are ripping off,
unfortunately stealing the riff doesn’t keep this song from sucking.

“Ache With Me” is the moment I dreaded, Against Me sound like Green Day on this song, which means they sound like a really watered down Kinks. As much as I despise that thought, I kind of enjoy the song. How weird is that? “Spanish Moss” starts off and again I think of the Gaslight Anthem, however as the song goes on it comes closer to old school Against Me than anything on this album. However it remains over polished and glossy, and the rage and anger in the chorus sounds almost comical, hampering the song from reaching anything other than mediocrity.

“Rapid Decompression” is enjoyable, but at the same time it kind of seems like they are mocking punk rock. Maybe that’s all they ever did and I missed it? Nah, they just sold out. “Bamboo Bones” I’m sorry but this song is just stupid, the lyrics made me laugh. Wow, this is so sad. Still I am sure there is someone out there who will find inspiration in this song, so hey, not a total loss, right?

The main problem is that Tom Gabel and crew have confused maturity and growth with mediocrity and stagnation. It sounds like they have become complacent with making mediocre music, which is sad considering all the potential their early work showed.. Major label money, and a big name producer has made this band impotent., and that is just sad.

-T-Bone

No comments:

Post a Comment